Current:Home > ContactDetermined to Forge Ahead With Canal Expansion, Army Corps Unveils Testing Plan for Contaminants in Matagorda Bay in Texas -Clarity Finance Guides
Determined to Forge Ahead With Canal Expansion, Army Corps Unveils Testing Plan for Contaminants in Matagorda Bay in Texas
NovaQuant Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 16:56:30
PORT LAVACA, Texas—Federal authorities have outlined a path forward for controversial plans to dredge a canal for oil tankers through a Superfund site on the Texas coast amid persistent environmental concerns.
During a presentation Tuesday night in a hotel conference room here, officials from the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers outlined a $2.8 million effort to test the bay floor at the site and order the removal of any contaminants identified so that the Matagorda Bay ship channel project can move forward. The project calls for dredging and expanding a 27-mile stretch of the canal to make way for larger tankers carrying oil from Texas for export.
The corps first approved the channel project in 2020 but withdrew that decision in a court filing last December, acknowledging a need for more environmental studies. The move followed years of complaints and a lawsuit by environmental groups arguing that the corps had inadequately tested for toxic materials settled on the floor of the shallow bay.
This area of the bay, which lies midway between Galveston and Corpus Christi, was once covered in mercury, a metallic neurotoxin dumped by a now-shuttered Alcoa aluminum plant in the 1960s and ‘70s. The bay floor was designated a Superfund site in the 1990s, and a federally mandated cleanup removed most of it in the 2000s.
Tuesday’s presentation underlined the corps’s resolve to proceed with the canal’s expansion, even if tests reveal that mercury still lies on the bay floor.
“Regardless of the amount of contamination that we find, it will all be removed before dredging work commences,” said Ramon Roman-Sanchez of the corps’ regional planning and environmental center.
The $218 million canal expansion will allow the world’s largest class of ships to dock at the Seahawk Oil Terminal, owned by Max Midstream, which is partially financing the project. There, the enormous freighters will load crude oil, piped from the shale field of Texas, for sale on foreign markets.
Mauricio Blanco, a 51-year-old shrimper in Port Lavaca, expressed disappointment when he learned that the corps would be presenting plans to move forward with the project after revoking approval last year.
“I thought it was shut down for good,” he said, speaking Tuesday from his boat in Port Lavaca harbor before the meeting. “But money can buy anything, I guess.”
In the initial review of the canal project, the corps tested eight points in the 5.7 million-square-foot proposed dredging area and found no elevated mercury levels. Three more sediment taken samples in 2022 produced the same results.
But in its presentation Tuesday night, corps officials said that a review of historical data had revealed spots of remaining contamination in or near the proposed dredging zone. In 2009, two of 23 sites tested showed mercury levels above federal limits inside the project area. Another test in 2021, just outside the project area, found mercury above twice the limit.
So, the engineers presented plans for 29 additional test sites distributed throughout the dredging zone.
Jeff Pinsky, environmental branch chief with the corps’ Galveston district, said the test results should be available in about a year. Any areas of contamination will be flagged to Alcoa, which remains responsible for the Superfund site, so it can remove the toxic sediments, officials said.
The $2.8 million cost of the new testing plan will be split 75/25 between the corps and the Calhoun Port Authority, said Byron Williams, deputy district engineer for the corps’ Galveston district. The port’s director, Charles Hausmann, told the meeting that the port’s portion would be funded by Max Midstream.
Max Midstream, a Houston-based oil company, announced plans for pipelines linking the Permian and Eagle Ford shales to a terminal on Lavaca Bay September 2020, four months after the corps first approved the Matagorda canal project.
The announcement included a $360 million commitment from Max Midstream to Port Calhoun to finance canal expansion.
Max Midstream’s Seahawk oil terminal was one of about a dozen such oil and gas export terminals proposed or in development along the Gulf Coast, all spurred by the fracking boom in Texas and the legalization of oil and gas exports in 2015.
The canal expansion has faced steep resistance from local shrimpers and oystermen as well as environmental groups. Last year, Blanco took officials from the corps and the federal Environmental Protection Agency on a tour of the project area on his shrimp boat. When the corps withdrew its approval for the project in December, he thought the battle was won.
For years, he fought the planout of concern for its effects on the bay, from stirring up old contamination to the planned destruction of oyster reefs and seagrass.
Since Blanco began working on the bay in 1989, he has seen a steep decline in shrimping productivity as industrial activity, including a sprawling Formosa plastics plant, took a toll on the coastal ecosystem. Plans to further develop the bay, he fears, may mean the end of an era for folks who depend on the natural bounty of the sea for their livelihoods.
“I’ve been doing this so long, it’s all I know,” said Blanco, a father of four, including a college student. “If I go to another job, I’ll start from the bottom.”
At the meeting on Tuesday, Blanco listened quietly. After years of speaking out against the project at similar meetings to little avail, he said he didn’t feel that what he has to say matters.
The bay floor testing results will be published in a new environmental impact study before the entire project is resubmitted to the corps leadership for reconsideration and another final decision.
Despite the corps’ resolve to move forward, Col. Rhett Blackmon, commander of its Galveston District, assured the audience at the meeting Tuesday night that any new findings would undergo full administrative review before ground is broken on the project.
“Construction will not start until the supplemental [environmental impact statement] is complete,” Blackmon said. “We won’t do anything until we get a record of decision.”
With the testing results expected in about one year, officials estimated that the new record of decision could come in 18 months.
veryGood! (9579)
Related
- At site of suspected mass killings, Syrians recall horrors, hope for answers
- National Taco Day deals: Where to get free food, discounts on Wednesday
- Powerball jackpot hits $1.2 billion after no winners Monday
- Beyoncé’s Daughter Blue Ivy Reveals Her Makeup Skills That Prove She’s That Girl
- Most popular books of the week: See what topped USA TODAY's bestselling books list
- UN envoy calls for a ‘unified mechanism’ to lead reconstruction of Libya’s flood-wrecked city
- Man convicted of stealing $1.9 million in COVID-19 relief money gets more than 5 years in prison
- Taiwan issues rain and strong wind alerts for Typhoon Koinu that’s approaching the island
- Louvre will undergo expansion and restoration project, Macron says
- Secura issues recall on air fryers after reports of products catching fire
Ranking
- Realtor group picks top 10 housing hot spots for 2025: Did your city make the list?
- Saudi soccer team refuses to play in Iran over busts of slain general, in potential diplomatic row
- Georgia corrections officer killed by inmate with homemade weapon, officials say
- EU announces new aid package to Ethiopia, the first since the war in the Tigray region ended
- New Zealand official reverses visa refusal for US conservative influencer Candace Owens
- North Carolina widower files settlement with restaurants that served drunk driver who killed his wife
- Sam Bankman-Fried set to face trial after spectacular crash of crypto exchange FTX
- Man wins $4 million from instant game he didn't originally want to play
Recommendation
Can Bill Belichick turn North Carolina into a winner? At 72, he's chasing one last high
Bear attacks, injures woman in Montana west of Glacier park near Canadian border
Police raid on Kansas newspaper appears to have led to a file on the chief, bodycam video shows
Brewers' Brandon Woodruff is out for NL wild-card series – and maybe longer
2025 'Doomsday Clock': This is how close we are to self
'He survived': Texas community raises money for 6-year-old attacked with baseball bat in home invasion
PrEP prevents HIV infections, but it's not reaching Black women
California governor chooses labor leader and Democratic insider to fill Feinstein’s Senate seat