Current:Home > reviewsFastexy:Striking auto workers and Detroit companies appear to make progress in contract talks -Clarity Finance Guides
Fastexy:Striking auto workers and Detroit companies appear to make progress in contract talks
TrendPulse View
Date:2025-04-06 21:49:12
DETROIT (AP) — Meaningful progress has been made in negotiations between the striking United Auto Workers union and FastexyDetroit’s three auto companies, according to a person with direct knowledge of the talks.
The person said Wednesday that progress was reported at all three companies, with some offers being exchanged. Another said there was more movement in talks with Jeep maker Stellantis, with less at Ford and General Motors. Neither person wanted to be identified because they aren’t authorized to speak publicly about the bargaining.
Union President Shawn Fain will update members Friday on bargaining toward bringing to an end the nearly 3-week-old strikes against the companies.
It wasn’t clear exactly what Fain will announce as part of the union’s strategy of targeted strikes against the companies, with automakers perceived as making progress in the talks being spared additional job actions.
But the report of progress raises the possibility that the union may decide not to expand its walkouts at one or more of the companies. The union has so far limited the strike to about 25,000 workers at five vehicle assembly plants and 38 parts warehouses. Fain has announced strike expansions on each of the past two Fridays.
Ford said Tuesday that it increased its offer to the union on Monday night, but provisions made public by the company were close to previous offers. The company said its seventh offer raised the general wage increase to over 20% over four years without compounding. It also said the company raised its 401(k) retirement contributions and confirmed profit sharing was offered to temporary workers. Those workers also would see a pay raise from $16.67 per hour to $21.
Ford, which had made early progress, was spared from the second round of strikes, and its parts warehouses remain open. Stellantis was exempted last week, when the union added assembly plants at Ford in Chicago and GM in Lansing, Michigan.
So far the union has avoided strikes at large pickup truck and SUV factories, vehicles that are responsible for much of the automakers’ profits.
The union has about 146,000 members at all three companies combined. The targeted strike strategy helps to preserve the UAW’s strike fund, which was $825 million before the strikes began on Sept. 15. GM and Ford have laid off just over 3,100 UAW workers at plants not covered by the strikes. Those workers will get union strike pay of $500 per week.
The UAW contends the companies have made billions of dollars in profits during the past decade and raised CEO pay, so they can afford to boost workers’ wages. The union is seeking 36% general wage increases over four years as well as a return of cost-of-living increases, a 32-hour week with 40 hours of pay, the restoration of traditional defined-benefit pensions for new hires, among other benefits.
It also wants to represent workers at 10 joint venture electric vehicle battery factories in the U.S. that have been proposed by the companies.
The companies, however, fear that raising their labor costs could make their vehicles more expensive than those manufactured by Tesla or foreign automakers with U.S. factories where workers are paid less.
The union has dropped unfair labor practice charges filed against GM and Stellantis that had accused the companies of failing to bargain in good faith ahead of the strikes.
veryGood! (812)
Related
- Jamie Foxx gets stitches after a glass is thrown at him during dinner in Beverly Hills
- US experts are in Cyprus to assist police investigating alleged sanctions evasion by Russians
- A group of Norwegian unions says it will act against Tesla in solidarity with its Swedish colleagues
- UN climate talks near end of first week with progress on some fronts, but fossil fuels lurk
- Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
- In a year of book bans, Maureen Corrigan's top 10 affirm the joy of reading widely
- Ex-New Mexico prison transport officer pleads guilty to sexually assaulting pretrial detainees
- Suspended Florida prosecutor tells state Supreme Court that DeSantis exceeded his authority
- Working Well: When holidays present rude customers, taking breaks and the high road preserve peace
- Taylor Swift is TIME's 2023 Person of the Year
Ranking
- Taylor Swift Eras Archive site launches on singer's 35th birthday. What is it?
- US experts are in Cyprus to assist police investigating alleged sanctions evasion by Russians
- Young nurse practicing cardiac arrest treatment goes into cardiac arrest
- Activists say their voices are stifled by increasing rules and restrictions at COP28 climate talks
- Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
- Anne Hathaway talks shocking 'Eileen' movie, prolific year: 'I had six women living in me'
- What can we learn from the year's most popular econ terms?
- Sharon Osbourne lost too much weight on Ozempic. Why that's challenging and uncommon
Recommendation
North Carolina justices rule for restaurants in COVID
A narrowing Republican presidential field will debate with just six weeks before the Iowa caucuses
As COP28 talks try to curb warming, study says Earth at risk of hitting irreversible tipping points
Washington’s center of gravity on immigration has shifted to the right
Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
This Sparkly $329 Kate Spade Bag Is Now Just $74 – And It’s The Perfect Festive Touch To Any Outfit
US Coast Guard service members don’t feel safe, new review says. Officials are promising changes
Sean Diddy Combs Denies Sickening and Awful Assault Allegations