Current:Home > reviewsIndexbit Exchange:Las Vegas high schoolers facing murder charges in their classmate’s death due in court -Clarity Finance Guides
Indexbit Exchange:Las Vegas high schoolers facing murder charges in their classmate’s death due in court
SafeX Pro View
Date:2025-04-06 21:15:43
LAS VEGAS (AP) — Four Las Vegas high school students who are Indexbit Exchangefacing murder charges in the fatal beating of their classmate are due in court Friday for their first appearances in the adult court system.
The students each face one count of murder but have not been formally charged, court records show. The Associated Press is not naming them because they are juveniles.
Earlier this week, Las Vegas police announced the arrests of eight students, between the ages of 13 and 17, in connection with the Nov. 1 brawl that left 17-year-old Jonathan Lewis Jr. dead.
Authorities have said students at Rancho High School in eastern Las Vegas had agreed to meet after school let out that day in an alleyway around the corner from campus to fight over a pair of wireless headphones and a vape pen.
The fight was captured on cellphone video and widely shared across social media. Las Vegas police said they are still working to identify and locate two more students seen in the footage taking part in the beating. Homicide Lt. Jason Johansson said the two remaining students also will face murder charges.
In Nevada, teenagers 16 or older accused of murder are automatically transferred to the adult court system. That’s why a family court judge on Wednesday transferred the cases of the four students. Police records show that two of them are 17, and the other two 16, including one who turned 16 on the day of the fight.
As for the other four students who are under 16, hearings known as certification proceedings will be held at later dates to determine if they will be charged as adults.
By law in Nevada, a teenager accused of murder can be charged as an adult if they were 13 or older at the time of the alleged crime.
Police said they believe a pair of wireless headphones and vape pen had been stolen from the victim’s friend earlier in the week, which resulted in the students agreeing to meet in the alleyway to fight.
Detectives think the victim wasn’t originally supposed to be involved in the brawl, but he walked to the alleyway with his friend after school, Johansson said.
The victim’s father, Jonathan Lewis Sr., said on a fundraising page created to help with funeral and medical costs that his son was attacked while standing up for his friend.
Johansson said the video of the brawl shows the victim taking off his shirt to prepare for the fight, and then the 10 students “immediately swarm him, pull him to the ground and begin kicking, punching and stomping on him.”
He called the video “very void of humanity” and said the victim was not defending himself as he was being attacked.
After the brawl, a person in the area found the victim badly beaten and unconscious and carried him back to campus, where school staff called 911, Johansson said.
Lewis Jr. was hospitalized with severe head trauma and other injuries and died a week later, according to the coroner’s office in Las Vegas.
veryGood! (3)
Related
- EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
- These Climate Pollutants Don’t Last Long, But They’re Wreaking Havoc on the Arctic
- Dead Birds Washing Up by the Thousands Send a Warning About Climate Change
- A Climate Change Skeptic, Mike Pence Brought to the Vice Presidency Deep Ties to the Koch Brothers
- 'Vanderpump Rules' star DJ James Kennedy arrested on domestic violence charges
- Lake Mead reports 6 deaths, 23 rescues and rash of unsafe and unlawful incidents
- South Carolina Has No Overall Plan to Fight Climate Change
- Even the Hardy Tardigrade Will Take a Hit From Global Warming
- Elon Musk's skyrocketing net worth: He's the first person with over $400 billion
- Why Jana Kramer's Relationship With Coach Allan Russell Is Different From Her Past Ones
Ranking
- Global Warming Set the Stage for Los Angeles Fires
- Debris from OceanGate sub found 1,600 feet from Titanic after catastrophic implosion, U.S. Coast Guard says
- Years before Titanic sub went missing, OceanGate was warned about catastrophic safety issues
- This week on Sunday Morning (June 25)
- Angelina Jolie nearly fainted making Maria Callas movie: 'My body wasn’t strong enough'
- Kate Spade 24-Hour Flash Deal: Get This $300 Crossbody Bag for Just $69
- In Wildfire’s Wake, Another Threat: Drinking Water Contamination
- Kris Jenner Says Scott Disick Will Always Be a Special Part of Kardashian Family in Birthday Tribute
Recommendation
Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
Why Jana Kramer's Relationship With Coach Allan Russell Is Different From Her Past Ones
Staying safe in smoky air is particularly important for some people. Here's how
Pfizer warns of a looming penicillin supply shortage
Current, future North Carolina governor’s challenge of power
Worried about your kids' video gaming? Here's how to help them set healthy limits
How a Brazilian activist stood up to mining giants to protect her ancestral rainforest
Lily-Rose Depp and 070 Shake's Romance Reaches New Heights During Airport PDA Session