Current:Home > News22 UN peacekeepers injured when convoy leaving rebel area hit improvised explosive devices, UN says -Clarity Finance Guides
22 UN peacekeepers injured when convoy leaving rebel area hit improvised explosive devices, UN says
NovaQuant View
Date:2025-04-06 22:18:02
UNITED NATIONS (AP) — Twenty-two U.N. peacekeepers in a convoy withdrawing from a rebel stronghold in northern Mali were injured when their vehicles hit improvised explosive devices on two occasions on Saturday, the United Nations said Monday.
There have now been six incidents since the peacekeepers left their base in Kidal on Oct. 31 for the estimated 350 kilometer (220-mile) trip to Gao, injuring a total of at least 39 peacekeepers, U.N. spokesman Stephane Dujarric said.
Eight peacekeepers were injured by improvised explosive devices last Wednesday and seven early Friday, he said, and at least two peacekeepers were injured in two earlier IED attacks.
Dujarric said the 22 peacekeepers injured Saturday had to be evacuated by air to receive treatment in Gao.
In June, Mali’s military junta, which overthrew the democratically elected president in 2021, ordered the nearly 15,000-strong U.N. peacekeeping force known as MINUSMA to leave after a decade of working on stemming a jihadi insurgency.
The U.N. Security Council terminated the mission’s mandate June 30 and the U.N. is in the throes of what Secretary-General António Guterres calls an “unprecedented” six-month exit from Mali by Dec. 31.
MINUSMA was one of the most dangerous U.N. peacekeeping operations in the world, with more than 300 members killed since operations began in 2013.
About 850 U.N. peacekeepers had been based in Kidal along with 150 other mission personnel. An employee with MINUSMA earlier told The Associated Press that the peacekeepers left Kidal in convoys after Mali’s junta refused to authorize flights to repatriate U.N. equipment and civilian personnel.
JNIM, an extremist group with links to al-Qaida, has claimed responsibility for the two earlier attacks. But Dujarric has said the U.N. doesn’t know if the IEDs that hit the convoy had been there for a long time or whether the peacekeepers were deliberately targeted.
veryGood! (37)
Related
- Paris Hilton, Nicole Richie return for an 'Encore,' reminisce about 'The Simple Life'
- Arrow's Stephen Amell Raises Eyebrows With Controversial Comments About Myopic Actors Strike
- RHOC's Heather Dubrow Becomes Everyone's Whipping Boy in Explosive Midseason Trailer
- Alaska child fatally shot by other child moments after playing with toy guns, troopers say
- 'Squid Game' without subtitles? Duolingo, Netflix encourage fans to learn Korean
- After the death of his wife, actor Richard E. Grant vowed to find joy every day
- U.S. COVID hospitalizations climb for second straight week. Is it a summer surge?
- Impeached Texas AG Ken Paxton seeks to have most charges dismissed before September trial
- Could Bill Belichick, Robert Kraft reunite? Maybe in Pro Football Hall of Fame's 2026 class
- Fate of American nurse and daughter kidnapped by armed men in Haiti remains uncertain
Ranking
- The Louvre will be renovated and the 'Mona Lisa' will have her own room
- Dead body found in barrel at Malibu beach
- After the death of his wife, actor Richard E. Grant vowed to find joy every day
- You'll Get a Kick Out of Abby Wambach and Glennon Doyle's Whirlwind Love Story
- SFO's new sensory room helps neurodivergent travelers fight flying jitters
- Skip Holtz to join scandal-ridden Northwestern football as special assistant, per reports
- One-third of graduate schools leave their alums drowning in debt
- Impeached Texas AG Ken Paxton seeks to have most charges dismissed before September trial
Recommendation
House passes bill to add 66 new federal judgeships, but prospects murky after Biden veto threat
Russia accuses Ukraine of a drone attack on Moscow that hit the same building just days ago
You'll Get a Kick Out of Abby Wambach and Glennon Doyle's Whirlwind Love Story
Siesta Key's Madisson Hausburg Is Pregnant, Expecting Baby 19 Months After Son Elliot's Death
The city of Chicago is ordered to pay nearly $80M for a police chase that killed a 10
WWE superstar talks destiny in new documentary 'American Nightmare: Becoming Cody Rhodes'
News anchor carried the secret of her mother’s murder as Vermont police investigated
Flashing X installed on top of Twitter headquarters in San Francisco – without a permit from the city