Current:Home > MarketsIndexbit-McDonald’s franchisee agrees to pay $4.4M after manager sexually assaulted teen -Clarity Finance Guides
Indexbit-McDonald’s franchisee agrees to pay $4.4M after manager sexually assaulted teen
PredictIQ View
Date:2025-04-07 02:48:03
A franchisee of fast food giant McDonald’s has agreed to pay a teenage girl $4.4 million to settle her lawsuit over having been sexually assaulted by a Pittsburgh-area restaurant manager who was a registered sex offender,Indexbit the victim’s lawyers announced on Monday.
The deal between the girl, who was 14 at the time of the 2021 sexual assault, and McDonald’s franchisee Rice Enterprises LLC, compensates her for the attack by Walter A. Garner in the restaurant bathroom.
At the time, Garner, now 44, had served prison time and was listed on the Megan’s Law website for sexually assaulting a 10-year-old girl.
Garner pleaded guilty in 2021 to statutory sexual assault, indecent assault and other charges for the McDonald’s assault and is serving a state prison sentence. A message seeking comment was left Monday for the public defenders who represented him in that case and in the 2003 case that was resolved with a guilty plea to aggravated indecent assault and other charges.
The lawsuit helped prompt an October 2021 strike by workers in 12 U.S. cities, an effort to get the company to better address what they described as an ongoing problem of sexual harassment and violence in McDonald’s stores.
Through a McDonald’s spokesperson, Rice Enterprises said it fired Garner as soon as they learned of the allegations against him in 2021.
“Since then, we’ve redoubled our efforts to ensure a positive and respectful experience for all employees in our restaurants, and our organization maintains a zero-tolerance policy for harassment of any kind,” Rice Enterprises said in the emailed statement. The company said it puts new hires through “safe and respectful workplace training” and has enhanced security.
The employee was 14 when she began working at a McDonald’s in Bethel Park in October 2020. She said she had no training on sexual harassment or how to report it. Garner made sexual comments to her and touched her inappropriately before the bathroom sexual assault in mid-February 2021, according to the lawsuit.
Garner was arrested in April 2021 after another McDonald’s employee told administrators at her school about his behavior and police were called, the lawsuit said.
Lawyer Alan Perer, who represents the girl and her parents in the Allegheny County civil litigation, said he questions how a sex offender was hired to manage girls of high school age.
“For a company to allow a known sex offender to have access to and control over young teens turns America’s best first job into a nightmare for those teens,” Perer said in a release.
McDonald’s USA called the girl’s assault deeply troubling, issuing a statement that said violence and sexual harassment are completely unacceptable. The company said it is committed to providing franchisees with training resources to help prevent harassment.
veryGood! (6)
Related
- Former Syrian official arrested in California who oversaw prison charged with torture
- Urban communities that lack shade sizzle when it’s hot. Trees are a climate change solution
- Sean ‘Diddy’ Combs faces new sex assault allegations in woman’s lawsuit
- Sean ‘Diddy’ Combs faces new sex assault allegations in woman’s lawsuit
- California DMV apologizes for license plate that some say mocks Oct. 7 attack on Israel
- George Clooney and Amal Clooney Reveal What Their Kids Think of Their Fame
- Vance exuded calm during a tense debate stage moment. Can he keep it up when he faces Walz?
- A's leave Oakland a winner. They also leave plenty of tears and 57 years of memories.
- Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
- Tom Brady Shares “Best Part” of His Retirement—And It Proves He's the MVP of Dads
Ranking
- Woman dies after Singapore family of 3 gets into accident in Taiwan
- Joliet, Illinois, Plans to Source Its Future Drinking Water From Lake Michigan. Will Other Cities Follow?
- House explosion that killed 2 linked to propane system, authorities say
- ‘I love you but I hate you.’ What to do when you can’t stand your long-term partner
- Pregnant Kylie Kelce Shares Hilarious Question Her Daughter Asked Jason Kelce Amid Rising Fame
- Alabama carries out the nation's second nitrogen gas execution
- Truck carrying lithium batteries sparks fire and snarls operations at the Port of Los Angeles
- Virginia Tech misses out on upset of No. 9 Miami after Hail Mary TD is overturned
Recommendation
Small twin
Small plane crashes into Utah Lake Friday, officials working to recover bodies
Dozens dead and millions without power after Helene’s deadly march across southeastern US
Allison Holker Shares How Her 3 Kids Met Her New Boyfriend Adam Edmunds
A Mississippi company is sentenced for mislabeling cheap seafood as premium local fish
Tropical Weather Latest: Millions still without power from Helene as flooding continues
Micah Parsons left ankle injury: Here's the latest on Dallas Cowboys star defender
Apalachee football team plays first game since losing coach in deadly school shooting