Current:Home > MarketsNew York Times report says Israel knew about Hamas attack over a year in advance -Clarity Finance Guides
New York Times report says Israel knew about Hamas attack over a year in advance
Burley Garcia View
Date:2025-04-06 17:11:15
JERUSALEM (AP) — Israel’s military was aware of Hamas ' plan to launch an attack on Israeli soil over a year before the devastating Oct. 7 operation that killed hundreds of people, The New York Times reported Friday.
It was the latest in a series of signs that top Israeli commanders either ignored or played down warnings that Hamas was plotting the attack, which triggered a war against the Islamic militant group that has devastated the Gaza Strip.
The Times said Israeli officials were in possession of a 40-page battle plan, code-named “Jericho Wall,” that detailed a hypothetical Hamas attack on southern Israeli communities.
It was unclear how the document was obtained by Israel, but the article said that it had been translated — indicating it may have been in Arabic and directly intercepted from Hamas.
The Israeli military declined to comment on the report, saying it was “currently focused on eliminating the threat from the terrorist organization Hamas.”
“Questions of this kind will be looked into in a later stage,” it said.
The document was seen by many Israeli military and intelligence officials, the report said, though it was unclear if Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu or other top leaders had seen it.
The document predicted that Hamas would bombard Israel with rockets, use drones to disable Israel’s security and surveillance abilities at the border wall, and take over southern communities and military bases. Another 2016 Israeli defense memo obtained by the Times said Hamas intended to take hostages back to Gaza.
The Oct. 7 attack — in which 1,200 people were killed and 240 people were abducted and taken to Gaza — would uncannily mirror the one outlined in the battle plan. But Israeli officials had brushed off the plan, the report said, dismissing it as “aspirational” rather than something that could practically take place, the report said.
The report comes amid public fury toward the government of Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu for failing to prevent an attack that appears to have been preceded by numerous warning signs.
The attack was planned in plain sight. A month before the assault, Hamas posted a video to social media showing fighters using explosives to blast through a replica of the border gate, sweep in on pickup trucks and then move building by building through a full-scale reconstruction of an Israeli town, firing automatic weapons at human-silhouetted paper targets.
In the video, the militants destroyed mock-ups of the wall’s concrete towers and a communications antenna, just as they would do for real on Oct. 7.
Adding to public outrage over the military’s apparent negligence, the Israeli media has reported that military officials dismissed warnings from female border spotters who warned that they were witnessing Hamas’ preparations for the attack. According to the media reports, the young women reported seeing Hamas drones and attempts to knock out Israeli border cameras in the months leading up to the attack.
Netanyahu has stopped short of apologizing for the attack, and has said that determining blame will have to come after the war is waged. Critics say he is attempting to escape responsibility for myriad intelligence failures leading to the deadliest day in Israeli history.
veryGood! (1477)
Related
- Tree trimmer dead after getting caught in wood chipper at Florida town hall
- 13 Reasons Why’s Tommy Dorfman Reveals She Was Paid Less Than $30,000 for Season One
- She did 28 years for murder. Now this wrongfully convicted woman is going after corrupt Chicago police
- North Korea fires ballistic missile after U.S. submarine arrives in South Korea
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
- Viva Whataburger! New 24/7 restaurant opening on the Las Vegas Strip this fall.
- 101.1 degrees? Water temperatures off Florida Keys currently among hottest in the world
- Colorado businessman gets over 5 years in prison for ‘We Build The Wall’ fundraiser fraud
- Meet first time Grammy nominee Charley Crockett
- Horoscopes Today, July 25, 2023
Ranking
- Sonya Massey's father decries possible release of former deputy charged with her death
- Unexplained outage at Chase Bank leads to interruptions at Zelle payment network
- US heat wave eyes Northeast amid severe storms: Latest forecast
- Judge rejects U.S. asylum restrictions, jeopardizing Biden policy aimed at deterring illegal border crossings
- Travis Hunter, the 2
- Trevor Reed, who was released in U.S.-Russia swap in 2022, injured while fighting in Ukraine
- Typhoon blows off roofs, floods villages and displaces thousands in northern Philippines
- Stock market today: Asian markets are mixed ahead of what traders hope will be a final Fed rate hike
Recommendation
South Korea's acting president moves to reassure allies, calm markets after Yoon impeachment
Man suspected of shooting and injuring Dallas-area doctor was then shot and injured by police
London jury acquits Kevin Spacey of sexual assault charges on his birthday
Barbie Director Greta Gerwig Reveals If a Sequel Is Happening
Head of the Federal Aviation Administration to resign, allowing Trump to pick his successor
Michael K. Williams’ nephew urges compassion for defendant at sentencing related to actor’s death
Why Megan Fox Is Telling Critics to Calm Down Over Her See-Through Dress
Bryan Kohberger's attorneys hint alibi defense in Idaho slayings